Samvera has provision for accepting code created by third-parties into the Samvera distribution. Such acceptance requires that we exercise due diligence over the quality of the code and the provider's right to offer it. The stages below outline our acceptance procedure.
- Third party offers us the code for inclusion in Samvera / the Samvera distribution - usually via by Section B of a Samvera CLA or an email request that the code be incorporated by the project.
- If the offer comes from a third party that does not have a Samvera CLA to which it can be attached (thus defining the terms of offer and acceptance) we should try to have them complete one (although they may never need the main part about directly contributing code) else we will need to ensure that the email exchanges to go on file have adequate content to define the licensing terms.
- If the code is not already well known to us, it should be examined and approved by one or more Samvera committers.
- Check with the third-party that they have the rights to offer us the code for further distribution (a Samvera CLA would declare such and require no further action), in other words appropriate licensing arrangements in place with their own contributors, and/or check directly with the contributors themselves in cases where they have their own Samvera CLAs in place.
- Consider the offer of the software; consult with Samvera Partners. Use the Apache model of consensus-based decision making for this, with a round of +1 / +0 / -1 voting from Partners--and the motion being considered to carry with at least 3 +1's and no -1's. Hold the vote open for at least 3 (and comfortably 5) days.
- If 2, 3, 4 and 5 complete successfully, a Steering Group member will contact the third party to accept the software on behalf of Samvera.
- As necessary, file offer, acceptance and any supplementary material as for other Samvera legal documents;
- SG rep email email@example.com with the final copy of the offer, vetting and acceptance.
- SG rep put a copy of the email should also go into the project's dropbox folder
- SG rep register the acceptance at the Licensed software
- Request that the donor(s) or arrange for a Samvera committer to...
- copy the code into the Samvera github project in its own repository
- ensure the code carries the standard Code Copyright Statement
Relevant iCLA Text