Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Connect

Dial: +1 (530) 881-1400
Access Code: 651025#

 

Attendees

  • Tom Cramer (Apologies)
  • Rick Johnson
  • Linda Newman
  • Adam Wead
  • Richard Green
  • Mark Bussey
  • Chris Awre (Apologies)
  • Patrick Feeley
  • Ginnie Dressler (Apologies)

Agenda

  1. Chair: Rick Johnson
    Note taker: Richard Green
  2. Additions/changes to agenda
  3. Minutes of the last meeting  July 17th, 2014
  4. Logistics reports
    1. Essential logistics page at  Essential logistics facts
      Dampeer Room is not available Wednesday - Hatch Reading room instead 
      Patrick will work up a map of ad hoc spaces that can be used on a "drop-in" basis (Action: Patrick)
    2. More rooms in reserve just in case for Wed-Fri (Action: Patrick)
    3. 1 or 2 meeting rooms on Monday for invited working groups (eg Fedora committers)
      Done: see Essential logistics facts 
    4. Overnight car parking alternatives being investigated
      Still under investigation 
  5. Email to attendees
    1. Need to start gathering thoughts for what should go in the next  Email to attendees
      1. Logisitics? 
        1. Need to get out up to date info to lists prior to Hotel discount deadline of 28 August
      2. Need to put out an email about posters as soon as we firm up the workshops a bit (this so that people won't prepare posters for material being covered in the workshops) 
    2. When do we send the next reminder to the lists?
    3. Update on email to community re: topics
      Sent 7/22.  Five or six detailed responses.
      Move email issues into milestones (Action: Richard) 
  6. Program milestones and progress
    1. Have fairly constant agenda and incrementally work against list 
    2. Set major target dates in bold and work backwards from there
    3. Review Plan (Note how many are already crossed out!), Anything Missing?
    4. Items in bold and/or italicized make sure review today
    • Draft Program Outline Created (Target Date: August 7th)
      • Get High Level Tracks Set
        • Define Categories of Talks and Activities: WS = workshop, PL = plenary, LT = lightning talk, PR = presentation (say 20 mins), WG = Work group (Friday), PS = Poster, SOC = Social Events
        • Define various audiences: NPA = New and prospective adopters, MGR = established managers, DEV = established developers, DEVOPS = Developer Operations, OTH = other'
        • Set high level schedule and match to audience
          • Transfer all items below to  Connect 2 Planning matrix (old)

            Day Track Audience
            Mon Specific working groups (eg Fedora committers)
            SOC: Sign up dinner groups especially to welcome newcomers 
            N/A
            SOC 
            Tues WS; SOC: Beer Bus, Other NPA, DEV, MGR? All
            Wed Plenary (PR, LT, PS)
            SOC: Conference dinner
            All
            Thurs 1/2 day Continue Plenary; 1/2 day Unconference Separate Tracks; End Plenary SOC: Unconference Style All DEV/MGR/NPA/DEVOPS All
            Fri Workgroups, Current Projects, Specialized Topics MGR/DEV/DEVOPS
      • Define Plenary and Invited Topics
        • Last look on Brainstorming page at  Subject matter brainstorming
          • Please add any further items to list before next call  (Action: all)
        • Draft email to community asking what we should definitely cover in Connect #2; response deadline before next call 
        • Determine place for community to add topics (create public accessible wiki page) 
        • Review  Must Cover Topics for Hydra Connect 2
        • Integrate community supplied topics into organizer list
        • Need item about Hydra's technical direction; Robin has firm views, Richard will ask specifically what she would like to include in the discussion 
        • Richard to add high level program planning page to wiki.  It can now be found here  Connect 2 Planning matrix (old) 
        • Identify primary themes for plenary (derive from  Objectives and Targets for Hydra Connect)
        • Committee will group brainstormed topics into categories for similar topics and tracks
        • Discussion on 7/24 identified three broad themes:
          • How the community works ("the Hydra Way")
          • Hydra technical updates
          • Emerging solutions and technology
        • Later refined by Rick to:
          • Overriding Themes
            • Create new connections with prospective adopters
            • Immerse new and prospective adopters into the Hydra way
            • Deepen connections and spawn new collaborations
          • Focused Sub-Themes
            • Explore How the Community Works (Development Practices, Projects, Collaboration, Organizing)
            • Updates from the Hydra Community and other synergetic communities (e.g. Duraspace, APTrust) 
            • Explore Emerging Solutions/Technology
            • Showcase community solutions and success stories in Hydra
        • Each category of attendee needs to get a coherent program within their track. Linda (managers), Adam (devs), Rick (NPAs) will attempt to map the suggested topics onto the tracks prior to our 7/31 call (Action: Linda, Adam, Rick)
          • Provide specifically for devops only during workshops and working groups?
        • Identify and reach out to invited speakers
        • Confirmation of all invited speakers (Target Date: August 22nd)
        • Further call to community?
      • Need to start developing a program page for the wiki ( HC2014 Schedule v1.4.pdf) (See planning matrix)
      • Schedule and create separate tracks
        • Define Separate Tracks in  Connect 2 Planning matrix (old)
          • Maintain 60/40 split between conference/unconference on Wed and Thurs
        • Match audience to track(s) and number of tracks at different times defined
        • Need to establish criteria for content, program and tracks.  Tom has created a page at  Objectives and Targets for Hydra Connect . Please comment, add to, etc. (Action: all)
        • Richard to try and get the nice program master template used in January from Mark  (Action: Richard)
      • Request and Gather feedback on draft program (2-3 weeks, August 7 - 29)
    • Unconference scheduling execution (during conference)
      • Need to review prior process
      • Make any adjustments based on feedback and/or larger number of attendees
    • Workshops
    • Seed Unconference topics (Target Date: September 15)
      • Put out call to community (Target Date: TBD)
      • 2nd call closer to event (Target Date: August 30th)
      • Gather up until 2 weeks before Event (Target Date: September 15)
    • Finalize Rooms for Program (Target Date: August 15th? 30th?)
      • Estimate Attendee Count for per track and/or session
      • Match scheduled sessions (plenary, workshops, LT, etc) to rooms and accommodations
      • Have variety of rooms available for unconference portion to assign as appropriate
    • Program Finalized (Target Date: August 15th for workshops, August 29 main program )
      • Dependency for funding for some? Travel plans?
    • Emails to go (see Email to attendees ):
      • August 13th:  two weeks only to get discount hotell rates etc
      • August 20th:  one week only to get discount hotel rate
      • early September:  Email to signed-up attendees - requirements/tracks/workshop attendance/posters etc
    • Send Survey to community after event on program and overall success of event
  7. AOB
  8. Next meeting Thursday 31 July usual timeslot
    Please highlight on the draft agenda items that must be resolved in the call(Action: all) 


  • No labels