Scope & Objectives
This working group is interested in providing guidance for selecting and using controlled vocabularies behind descriptive metadata fields. This guidance will be useful within Hyrax and other software incorporating metadata fields that could benefit from controlled terms for consistency and accuracy. This group is a working group of the Samvera Metadata Interest Group.
Deliverables and Timeframe
The initial goals of this group are:
- Define use cases for needing controlled vocabularies behind metadata fields (in Hyrax and more generally)
- Identify sources/steps for locating controlled vocabularies (scoped to cultural heritage)
- Identify decisions/steps necessary to evaluate the use of a controlled vocabulary
- Hyrax-specific: Identify steps to take for how to add a controlled vocabulary for use behind a descriptive metadata field in Hyrax
These deliverables will be completed in phases. The use cases will probably only require a month or two to gather. Identifying sources for controlled vocabularies and the decision tree steps necessary will happen next and take more time. A goal date can be Samvera Connect in October 2020 with Hyrax-specific steps identified in time for Samvera Connect or soon after.
Meeting Times & Communication Channels
Meetings will be held at most bi-weekly during the time the working group is active via conference call/video chat. Meeting agendas and notes will be shared with the community via chat (Slack) and Samvera Lists (Google Groups). Members of the group may wish to meet more often as needed.
Regular meeting time and connection information will be defined when the Working Group forms. First meeting time is set for Tuesday, February 18, 2020, 1-2pm Eastern via Zoom: https://iu.zoom.us/j/207369760
- Julie Hardesty (Indiana University), facilitator
- Gretchen Gueguen (PALCI)
- Erik Radio (University of Colorado)
- Rebecca Pattillo (University of Louisville)
- Dawn Childress (UCLA)
- Lynette Rayle (Cornell)
- See unconference meeting notes from Samvera Connect 2019 for Hyrax Vocabulary Options
- Some vocabulary sources:
- Methods for implementing a controlled vocabulary: