Page tree

Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Date: 

Attendees: Lynette, Huda, Adam, John, Simeon

Regrets: Tim, Steven, Jason

Agenda & Notes

Review actions from 2019-11-08 Cornell LD4P2 Meeting notes

  • John Skiles Skinner , Huda Khan and others working on white paper on knowledge panels as followup from Blacklight LD @ Stanford
    • 2019-10-25 Will be discussed in DAG next Tuesday
    • 2019-11-08 Discussed in last week's DAG meeting, to be revisited by next DAG meeting 11/26
    • 2019-11-22 Plan is to work on this through Jan/Feb, considerable work to do ... won't track here
  • Huda Khan to discuss with Astrid and David possible collaboration with U Chicago over usability (and maybe others in DOG team)
    • Meeting with Astrid, Lynette, Steven and David and Emma set for 11/21 (Tim is out that week) to discuss potential usability work for discovery and Sinopia
    • 2019-11-22 - Had meeting yesterday. David and Emma will devote time to two tests – thinking about aspects around lookups and context. Results will be useful even if no more dev in this grant. Question whether there is training required beforehand. Will revisit question in January. UChicago have just completed a significant study re. discovery with grad students, will be discussion of possible follow-up
    • Notes: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_V7JfAKqSn63-G0zupLZigt8o7R3v_WXC7hWlt8w744/edit
  • Huda Khan working with EBSCO on scheduling vocabularies and data tool demo
    • 2019-11-22 scheduled for Dec 6 @ 10am

Status updates and planning

  • Review of DC cohort and partner meetings
    • Discovery is important, everyone agrees, want compelling stories
    • Cohort mentioned need for infrastructure to continue communicating/working. How can affinity groups help?
    • What can we do now to position us well for ongoing work? Usability studies are helpful
    • Cohort showcases very informative, can see what is actually being accomplished
    • NLM strongly interested in MeSH
    • Discussion about ways to improve lookup performance. Expanding index looks difficult, Dave will continue work on SPARQL approach
  • Review of SMASH! brainstorming results from 
  • Prep for Cataloging Sinatra and other 45's (Discogs data, https://github.com/ld4p/qa_server/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3ADiscogs)
    • STARTING with items not in DIscogs but AWAITING more work in Sinopia to import data. Sinopia work cycle 2 (through December 6) will we hope include the ability to read in RDF back from Trellis. We hope that we can leverage this to import RDF from a lookup in Discogs or ShareVDE. 
    • Formatting if Discogs results was redone to match the others
  • Enhanced Discovery (see also https://wiki.duraspace.org/x/sJI7Bg and https://github.com/LD4P/discovery/projects/1)
    • BAM! (to run through end October)
    • SMASH! (to run through end of January)
    • How will we decide what to take forward from KAPOW!, BAM! and SMASH!?
  • Authority Lookups for Sinopia (Lookup infrastructure: https://github.com/LD4P/qa_server/projects/2, Authority requests: https://github.com/LD4P/qa_server/projects/1)
    • Change to discogs merged through and in production
    • Sinopia updated yesterday, not discogs shows extended context though not the image – can demo creation of Work but note lots of triples can't load at the moment
    • Pagination header in results needs Samvera community review... having trouble getting that done but will release as soon as merged
    • Dave working on indexing to improve performance
    • Lynette working on other things for next two weeks
  • Travel and meetings (see LD4P2 Cornell Meeting Attendances)
    • 5th International LODLAM SUMMIT at the The Getty Center in Los Angeles. February 3-4, 2020
      • Steven, Lynette and Simeon will attend
      • Lynette will put QA in for the "tool challenge"
    • LD4 Conference at College Station, TX (TAMU) - May 13/14, 2020
      • Jason is on PC
    • rdfs:seeAlso Conferences Related to Linked Data in Libraries
  • Next meetings:
    • Simeon out Dec 6 and Dec 13
    • Huda not in office Dec 6 (I may be able to attend virtually but unsure)